This house is the oldest building in The Bronx. It was built Built in the year 1748 of fieldstone, in the brick Georgian style manor by Frederick Van Cortlandt. During the Revolutionary War, the house was the scene of military maneuvers and intrigue. General George Washington stayed in the house for the first time in 1776 and returned there twice more in 1781 and 1783. On his final visit he turned the mansion into his temporary headquarters before triumphantly marching into Manhattan.
Broadway at West 246th St. | Bronx, NY 10471